Jan 7, 2012

Winter Beauty Tips - Fighting the Winter Blahs

So, here is a list I made just for all you of how I take care of my skin during winter.  It did take me some few years to figure it all out and experiment and I find these work for me and I go back to them everytime the sun doesn't show it's kind face here in Utah:

**FACE**!
LIPS:  Our mouth is one of the biggest factors during conversations besides eye contact! Flaky lips are just as bad as cracked lips and look super white!  This might seem weird to you, but my father recommended this to me the winter before moving away and it is a miracle!!! It works in less than 30 seconds and completely heals in about 20 minutes!!!! SERIOUS!!!

Before you try this little potion on, scrub your lips gently in small circles with a toothbrush to brush off excess dead flakes right after you wash your face or after a shower.  Then RUB in circular motions some Vicks Vapor Rub on top and bottom lips getting into corner of lips as well.  You'll feel a tingle immediately!  End with a light top coat of more Vicks like lip gloss. EXTRA PERK: It works as a lip plumper too!




SKIN:  Your skin will be super dry because of cold weather and central heating indoors...resulting in extra dry skin that is unable to replenish on it's own.  You need to remove that ashy layer by exfoliating with a nourishing scrub.

I simply take a big tablespoon of brown sugar and mix in half of that same spoon with Olive Oil in a small dish and wet my clean face.  You can use the rule of thumb: 1 cup Sugar, 1/2 cup EVOO.  This may feel oily at first, but it is opening up pores and clearing out your surface.  Do this in small circular motions all over for about 2 minutes and rinse off with WARM water. You will feel and see the radiant difference on your skin!

OLIVE OIL: Make sure you always store Olive Oil inside cupboards and at decent temperatures, never letting the bottle stay near a stove when cooking and never allow it to sit in direct sunlight.  If it does, then it will pretty much just be regular oil.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), First Cold Pressed is the best Olive Oil type out there and because of it, you must take good care of it in order to last and not lose it's potency.

CREAM: This is my GO-TO skin cream for everything since I became a college student, it helped me prevent stretch marks during pregnancy (I can show you in person!), and it always heals up my dry patches and smoothes out my skin!  I even smother it on my lips when I put it on and make sure I massage it well around my eyes to prevent premature aging with the stress we women carry on a daily basis.  So, make sure you get yourself one of these and keep it a home.  It currently costs around $8 at Sam's Club (which is the only place that sells it, so I always let friend/relative buy it for me with my money).  In warmer places this can last up to a year and is great on legs after shaving and on elbows and knees to make them super soft.  In colder, dry places (like Utah) it'll last me about 5-6 months.  It's the only lotion I use, which saves me loads of money and when you spritz on perfume on yourself, it will last longer because your skin is retaining more! How cool is that?!?!?


**MAKEUP**:  Now, I typically go clean on my face unless I am going out with my family.  3 things I always use are a light foundation, blush, and vitamin E.  Here are the details:

FOUNDATION:  This is one foundation I kept seeing at the drugstores, but never got around to buying it until I went to California over a year ago and bought it for a steal! Since then, my skin pores have not clogged and it blends like a sheer product, but still covers imperfections, never cakes, feels like rose petals, and leaves a light luminosity making it all seem natural! The best part is that it was perfect for my undertones of golden skin tone, so since I am very light colored it's hard to match it without looking pinkish...oh baby, but this was long-awaited discovery for me!  As long as you get the right shade, I promise you will love this too!  Simply apply all over or even just on parts you want to even out.

BLUSH:  This blush looks so very natural and soft.  I always get complemented on how healthy I look when I put it on, but shhhhh! Our little secret.  Now, there are three versions of this blush and I usually just go for the Natural Rose Color.  The other 2 shades are Brick Rose and Silk Rose.  They are so complimentary! They will lightly tint, but not make you look like a clown.  It has a hint of luminosity, but not make you look like you poured on highlighter to look supple.  I mean, this is just like a gentle kiss for your cheeks that will have everyone taking a second look at how much more awake you look.  Here's a few tips I've learned along the way too.  Apply it at the apple of the cheeks, lightly fading away and around.  Then apply sparingly to the bridge and tip of your nose and the part of the forehead that gets most light when in front of a mirror (very lightly), and a light sweep on eye lids. It sounds like a lot, but if you just think of just lightly dusting these parts after your cheeks, you will see a difference and so will everyone else.

EYES and LIPS:  Now, some of you might think I'm crazy, but I like doing this because it works.  During the winter, every exposed area on your face is prone to drying damage.  I like to condition while still showing off what I have.  So, I simply pop with my teeth one soft gel of Vitamin E supplement and squeeze it onto my finger tip to apply to the following:  First, my lips for sheer luminosity that will keep my lips super soft after my treatments above all week.  This will never have your lips begging for more to reapply because they will stay soft all day. Then, squeeze out some more and finger apply to your eyebrows, eyelids, and eyelashes...what?!?! Yes, my dear, just don't let it look goopy.  The trick is in making it sheer because once you brush your eyebrows in place they will look super sophisticated and groomed, while your lids will look supple and highlighted, and your eyelashes will look thicker and so you'll just need to curl them and see it for yourself.  The best part to all this is that you're conditioning the skin, eyebrows (which most people neglect) and your eyelashes. Luminous, soft, and thicker...a triple threat!

EYELASHES:  If putting Vitamin E on your lashes is something you can't walk out with, then try it as you go to sleep so no one will see and wash it off in the morning, but try it!  Sometimes, when I do go out and want to look more put together after applying some eye shadow I will apply some mascara.  I've tried so many and I hate to see clumps and something totally unreal.  So, I found out about Maybelline's Full N' Soft  Mascara.  Holy moly, my outlook sure changed!  This will triple your lashes and make them look full (even my little 21 year-old sister liked this!), and the formula is so thin that it will not clump at all.  It lasts all day and best of all looks natural!  It's great for summer days and winter days where you want that oomph!

**HAIR**

CONDITION:  It doesn't matter what conditioner you buy as long as you use it.  Use it every time you shower!  This will reduce static from putting coats on and then taking them off and back on, etc. It will also help your hair look better too.  Not only is hair dead, but with all the heating and styling we do, we should be replenishing and moisturizing it even more.  Look for a moisturizing and even damage repair conditioner because they have extra benefits for you.

STYLE:  I have learned to appreciate my hair type and embraced my curls, so I use only one product and let it all air dry while I take care of home duties.  You'd think people would notice I'm being lazy about it, but not a day goes by without some one telling me they're jealous of my hair, or brings up the voluptuous look, or asks how I did it.  To be honest, it's the hair I wake up with and then re-apply this product to tame it and scrunch before I walk out the door.  That's it!  No one ever believes me, but it's what I do so it's what I've got to share with you too.  I never use a comb either and finger-comb this into my hair after a shower.  If I want to add some shine, then I will lightly spread hair serum as well.  The trick to styling is being yourself and being confident. Sometimes adding some "hair flair" is special so I use (not all together now) headbands, bobby pins, sheer flowers, braids, twists, change my hair part, and heck even ear warmers.  My husband still thinks I have a different hairstyle each day!  The best part is reducing the time is takes to style and finish in about 3 minutes so you can get on with helping things run smoother for outings, especially as a mom.

**BODY/ HEALTH**
The sugar and EVOO scrub from above can be used in the shower if put into a container with a lid for softer skin too.

DRY THROAT:  This is very common and can result in strep throat.  So, if you simply slice one lemon or lime in half and squeeze it into a cup and gargle it for about 10 seconds until it's gone, then you'll be good for the day.  If you're like me and live with central heating, then most likely you'll wake up with the same symptoms and need to re-do it every so often to prevent infection.



WATER!!!:  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You're body needs this to keep in balance and also to help maintain good weight.  Take one bottle with you in the car and keep it in your cup holder while you're out.  While at home and craving something, first drink 8 oz of water ( a regular glass) and then see if you're really still hungry in about 30 minutes.  Never skip meals, as this makes your body go into starvation mode and stores fat.  The more water you drink, the better you'll feel. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...