Mar 12, 2011

Making flowers

Well, I've been on a quite a busy trip these past two weeks and a lot of things have come up that needed my special attention, but I'm back and of course, I did some projects while I took a break from blogging.

So, my husband bought me a new camera, the Nikon D3100, ooohh!!!! Yeah, I'm happy and super giddy still.  He bought over a week ago and I absolutely have fallen in love.  It's so awesome!!! Anyway, I can't give you the details right now, but check out this review from Ken Rockwell's site.

For this tutorial, I used the left-overs of an old shirt I had.  So, on to the flower-making...
Pretty, huh?  It's super easy and fast to make, plus a little addictive, I have to admit.

YOU WILL NEED
Any material cut into circles, free hand (about 10 plus circle for each plushy flower, or 6 for scarce ones)
Hot Glue Gun
Scissors
Felt circle for bottom (optional)

MAKE IT
1.  First, decide whether or not your material will fray after being handled a bit in circles, if it will, then you can GENTLY burn off the edges to seal them with fire.  I use candles.  You can use even matches.  In this particular flower I really wanted a slight browning to the edges and had to let it burn just a bit more.  Then, Fold each circle in half and dab with a bit of glue in the center near the fold and fold in half again.  Like so:

 2.  Glue one circle (the biggest one) to a felt and crinkle a bit.  If you don't have the felt, just glue it onto another circle you cut out.  Now, fold and like on step 2 for the remainding circles.
3.  Now, glue you folded circles, from the pointed tip, on the center of your base circle all around, layered for fluff, or evenly spread out for a scarce flower.

4.  When you're done, add the center to the flowers with glue and squish in to crinkle and give a bloomin'-like-feel.  If you want some sparkle, add a glitzy botton in the center or even feathers, or pearls.  make it yours!

You're done!  Now, attach this to any other object that's too plain.  I used this for my camera strap cover I made, but I've attached some to my headbands, bags, presents, hats, scarfs, you name it.  The reason for the felt is because it can handle a bit more glue gun with out seeping out.  Also, I hand sew a clothes pin to the back often times to make it interchangeable with other stuff I want to personalize a lil' more ;-)

The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...