Jun 16, 2011

Canning

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2005-08-01/Learn-to-Can-for-Homegrown-Flavor.aspxWell, as you all may know, it's always a good thing to be prepared.  This post is one that I'm going to schedule since I'm trying to take a vacation this week so here it goes, people!

As you may know, or not, I was raised in a home where my mother would daily remind us that "Actions speak louder than words." Til this day, I repeat it as well, and when she would tell us, I would almost cringe!  Funny how life is.  Well, she also taught us to be self reliant and independent.  As one of the many things that she taught is is the art of canning.  Yes, it is an art, I believe, because only those that have patience for it will do it.  As such, I've been collecting empty glass containers since we moved to our new home and I'm getting ready to start canning in the next few weeks or so so that I can be done by the time snow hits. I know the general rules for this and I'm happy to share it with you all, once I start.  As a family, we;ve compiled a home storage for emergencies and continue to grow it despite the financial hardships that come.  It is so important to be prepared.  I know this because it can help in times when even no one in the house has a job to buy food, to get supplies, and I've witnessed cases in which catastrophes strike and leave food far from reach and being prepared is a blessing which we have to work hard to maintain.
Here are some general ideas for building a home storage: (all from LDS.ORG)
1. Gradually build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet until it is sufficient for three months.
2. Store drinking water.
3. Establish a financial reserve by setting aside a little money each week, and gradually increase it to a reasonable amount.
4. Once families have achieved the first three objectives, they are counseled to expand their efforts, as circumstances allow, into a supply of long-term basic foods such as grains, legumes, and other staples.

For now, I've compiled a few websites that will help you along the way and I will share with you great articles about keeping a home storage as well.

Why should you start?:
Home storage for Newly Weds
Home storage for families

How-to:
Learn to Can
Homegrown Canning
One step at a time

Until next time.  I'll be online shortly and hopefully ready to hit the ground running!  Also, my family might visit the weekend of my boy's birthday!!!!! That's the best news I've had in weeks!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...