Mar 25, 2010

Goodbye, great Woman

Today, my grandmother died at 5am. She dealt with diabitis for 35 years, had 19 pregnanicies,but 18 children to raise. She died in the hospital with almost all her children alive, 11, by her side. She was 79 years old. She also died from an ulcers, tumor, replaced intestine, 48 hours bledding drainage, brain damage, and many years of dialisis.

She taught me how to sew by hand and machine and how to stitch elaborate flowers on hankerchiefs or tablecloths. She also taught me how to make tamale corn dough, gorditas, and soups of many sorts. She was very maticulous, and an excellent caretaker. She was independent and humorous.

I wish I would've done a lot more with her. She once asked me to make her a purse because I got so much practice from sewing that I made quality purses.

I made one. My mother found it in my grandma's belongings after she died.
I also wanted to see her after I had my baby Andrew,but my husband was already compromised to visit his relatives for Christmas in California. I just wish we could've seen her in Chicago for one last time, in the hospital.  She spent many days there because she was very fragile and got hurt often, since she was very independent.  She never met my baby, her grandson.  Hopefully she will come and visit now, believe me, I wouldn't mind it.  It would be an honor.

The good thing is that I know she's finally resting. She had a hard life raising 18 children, in poverty, in the country of Mexico, while tending to the house chores of other wealthier families to recieve extra money to buy more food for all the little mouths to feed, and yet having her husband travel for long periods at a time and very often. She loved each of her children very much, and she was loving to us as a grandmother too. Even I remember how good she was at discerning people and how she would tear up when reminded of her troubled older sons.  She was incredibly strong and endured more than I believe a woman should endure just to help her family live.

I admire her every virtue and her faith always in our Heavenly Father. May she rest in much deserved peace. I always will love her and miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...