Jun 21, 2012

Newborn Photo Ideas at Home

Since I am only weeks shy of bringing our little girl into this world, I have been super exited about her photo shoot...I know, I'm a photographer, and she's gonna have to get used to it :-)  I am also in a lot of random spurts of pain because of the return of ulcers and contractions all at the same time.  So, I get plenty of time to create projects at home since I can hardly drive.  Though it all takes me a bit longer than usual to complete them, I finish them nonetheless and then put them up for display.  In most recent cases, I'm creating little trinkets for my soon-to-be baby girl.

So, without further delay, here are some inspirational ideas I have been keeping and working on and /or finished so that my baby can have unique items and props for her photo shoot and as decor or everyday wear.

I actually just finished this headband and had so much material left that I made one for myself too...keeps the fly-aways in place.  My husband liked the texture so much he requested one too, but a "man" wristband instead of a headband.  They are all in a dark gray color :-) Easy to make! (BUT shhh! Sells for $48 in a set in Etsy) All I need is white flowers to add.

My mother recently spotted an identical blanket to this next one, but in a more reddish, vibrant color...retailed anywhere from $55-$95 for the unique textures they have!  I won't even say how much she got it for because it was only about a minimal percentage of what they are sold for everywhere...okay, $6.  I know!  The best part is that it will be a focal prop during my baby's photo session and I can reuse it for other sessions as well! So exiting!










©MariaElenaPhotography




 The white furry blanket, and textured elfish beanie are both currently mine for photography.  I made the beanie myself...quite the challenge, but great for photos and retails at about $40-$68.  The blanket I got on sale for $20 since it was an item I could never get cheaper while living in Utah.  Oh, and the picture was taken by me as well for a past client :-)
I found a vintage luggage recently here in California and can't wait to use it for props too!!!  It's real leather and solid wood frame too..cost me $5 and similar props in identical materials cost $60-$105.  Buu-yaa!








This one looks so delicate and unique! I am for sure working on this one and all I need is the delicate and charming little pearls to add.  Retails at $33.









 This retails at $11. I have my baby's special letter "L" already in hand from previous buys, which cost $1.50
This is such a great idea to spruce up at home and then let baby play with once they get older and actually start playing pretend.  It retails at $40, but I got mine as a gift and know it cost less than $5.  All it needs is some handmade magic and it's ready for it's closeup as my baby's wings.













So now, some tips:
•  Newborns are best photographed within the first 2 weeks of life (I prefer 5 days from birth, personally) when they are less likely to be disturbed while sleeping and can be soothed easily.  They are so fresh out of the womb and look precious!
•  Use the manual setting in your camera since this is slow-paced session and demands time. Be very patient and gentle, newborns can sense stress.
•  The best place to shoot in is at home, before noon, at a warmer temperature setting for the session and with plenty of wipes handy for spit-ups and accidents.  Make sure all window blinds and curtains are pulled back for the best possible natural light.
•  I am not a big fan of “baby outfits.” You have newborn portraits taken to see that fresh new baby-ness, not the cute little outfit you bought with just a head poking out. I like to shoot partial nudity. Naked with a diaper/diaper cover on. It's a good thing to think about this ahead of time it isn’t an awkward thing. If you're completely against any form of nudity then go for the clean look of a white onesie. If possible, strip them down to the desired look well before the shoot/before feeding and wrap them cozy in a blanket so as not to disrupt that peaceful phase as you being shooting. 
©MariaElenaPhotography
•  I take close ups of the feet, and often cradled in mom or dads hands to show the size difference.  Make sure mom and dad are wearing solid black or white shirts, with long sleeves preferably.  If there is a color theme, it's okay as long as it's solid with long sleeves.
©MariaElenaPhotography
 I often bring a handful of blankets with texture and a boppy pillow. I will also throw in some other handmade props (crocheted), hats, etc. but I like to use the special blankets or hats that the parents have bought for their child instead of using mine because of the sentimental value they have.

1 comment:

  1. What a precious work is this. I really love the photos you've shared with us and I am impressed with your creativity. Good job and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...